Sunday, August 31, 2008

Creamy Corn Chowder...Paula Deen Style!

Back in October 2006, Paula Deen came to town to promote her new cookbook, Paula Deen Celebrates!. I was so excited to go but I had just gotten a new job and found out I was going to be sent to a conference in Denver that week. I was so bummed, but my wonderful husband agreed to go for me and get my cookbook signed. I really enjoy watching Paula on the Food Network and the recipes of hers that I've tried have been delish (when most things start with a stick of butter, what's not to love?). I had a bunch of extra fresh corn a few weeks ago and I remembered that I had seen a Corn Chowder recipe in the book and decided that would be the perfect use for my leftover corn. It was warm and tasty and I enjoyed it. Next time I'll be sure to add the red pepper, as I omited it this time (though I'll probably use roasted red pepper and mix it into the soup, rather than using it as a topping).

Corn Chowder

2 Tbsp butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion (I used a sweet onion)
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 baking potatoes, peeled and diced (I used yukon gold instead)
4 cups chicken broth (canned is fine)
4 ears white or yellow corn on the cob
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
One 10.75 oz can condensed cream of celery soup
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (I omitted)

In a heavy-bottomed 4 quart stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and potatoes and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the broth and boil the vegetables over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft. Meanwhile, cut the corn from the cobs with a sharp knife. Place each corncob in the middle of a large bowl to catch the kernels and juice. Add the corn to the soup and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the half-and-half, salt, pepper and the cream of celery soup. Stir well to combine. Simmer until hot. Serve immediately. Garnish with the bell pepper. Makes about 6 cups.

Source: Paula Deen Celebrates!

The deliciousness

Paula getting ready to sign my book

My husband with Paula's husband, Michael

No comments: