Saturday, July 11, 2009

Roasted Red Pepper Orzo

Another great use I've found for Roasted Red Peppers is this orzo. It makes a great side, or even a good main dish for lunch. I like to double the amount of peppers to intensify the flavor, but it is fine as the recipe states as well. Definitely use good parmesan cheese for this and the previously posted risotto...it will give a better flavor. Enjoy!

Roasted Red Pepper Orzo

Ingredients:

1 tsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil
1 roasted red pepper, chopped
2 tbsp onion, chopped
1 c dry orzo
2.5 cups chicken broth
Approximately 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

Directions:
To roast the pepper, I put it under the broiler, and turned it every few minutes until all sides were blackened. Then I put it in a bowl, covered it with plastic wrap, and let it sweat for about 15 minutes. After sweating it is really easy to peel off the skin. Seed and chop the pepper.
Heat butter and oil in a pot.
Add onions and saute 1-2 minutes.
Add orzo and toss until coated.
Add broth, bring to a boil, then turn heat to low. Cover and let simmer until broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Stir in roasted red peppers and cheese.


3 comments:

Alisa said...

I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I like the recipes you have here! I love roasted red peppers and I'd also love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Velva said...

That orzo dish looks delicious!

Simply Life said...

Oh I love orzo -this sounds great!