Saturday, July 11, 2009

Our new favorite side dish

I never thought I liked asparagus. My parents would try to serve them to me when I was growing up, and I just thought they were gross. They had a stringy texture and the flavor was just too strong. Turns out it wasn't the asparagus...it was just the way my mom prepared them and the size of the asparagus available in my small hometown grocery store. My mom always steamed them and put a little butter on them. Turns out I prefer them roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper (and sometimes a little garlic powder). I also only like the petite asparagus...they have a milder flavor than their thicker stalked counterparts and don't get as stringy. Luckily, the grocery store I generally shop at (Harris Teeter) almost always has the petite ones. We've made these a lot in the past few months (especially if there is a good sale) as a side dish. If you've never much worked with asparagus, here's a tip...remove the woody ends by bending the asparagus...they'll snap at the appropriate place. Give them a try even if you don't think you like asparagus...you might surprise yourself!

Roasted Asparagus

1 lb thin asparagus, washed and woody ends snapped off
Extra Virgin Olive oil (a tablespoon or two)
salt
freshly ground pepper
garlic powder (optional and to your liking)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (easy clean up!). Toss prepared asparagus with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder (if using). Roast in the oven for 10-20 minutes depending on how done you prefer them (I lean towards 20...I like them a bit crunchy). Enjoy!

Source: me!

No comments: