Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Quiche is the word...

Last week we had some ham and some eggs that we needed to use up so I thought what better way to accomplish that than with a quiche. Normally I make a cheese and bacon quiche but saw no reason why I couldn't substitue some ham for the bacon. It turned out great and provided a couple of dinners for us. I didn't take a picture...if you've seen one quiche you've seen them all. Here is the recipe I use:

1 9 inch deep dish pie crust
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I substituted 1-1.5 cups chopped ham this time)
1/2 cup diced onion (raw is fine--I prefer to sautee until soft in a little cooking spray or butter)
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups half & half (I used fat free...you could also use evaporated milk)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (recipe calls for Swiss but I use whatever I have on hand, generally cheddar or a colby and monterey jack blend...always 2% cheese)
1 tablespoon all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl mix together eggs, half & half and salt. Stir in the bacon or ham and onion. Mix in the cheese and flour. Place pie shell on a baking sheet and pour in the mixture. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments: